Great Birthday Snack for School Kids

My daughter recently started public school.  As a parent of a Kindergartner, we are asked to bring 20 snacks for all the kids about once a month.  At the 1st "meet-and-greet," the teacher gave us a list a of healthy snacks parents can bring.

But uh-oh, my girl's birthday was the first week of school, so do I bring cupcakes for 20 or healthy snacks for 20?  If you think 20 kids with 20 birthdays; that's a LOT of treats over 9 months! 

So I did some web searching and remembered the fruit bouquets from Edible Arrangements.  We found some stiff straws (much like Lollipop Sticks) at Party City, pulled out our cookie cutters, and made the following:


These treats were a learning experience; I was not sure what fruits the kids would love.  Watermelon was harder to use than cantaloupe and the kids were surprised by the kiwi:


This will be my shopping list for next time if I made 50 (two for each plus teachers):
  • 50 grapes in two colors
  • 25-50 strawberries
  • 1 cantaloupe
To add some fat and protein to our "nutrient-dense" carbohydrate fruit, we made a double batch of my Aunt's Fruit Dip recipe below and had a blast squirting it into mini cups:

  • 1 cup light sour cream
  • 1/4-1/3 cup pineapple juice (you can drain this from a can of pineapple chunks)
  • 1 package instant vanilla pudding, sugar free
  • Whisk together sour cream and juice, whisk in pudding; serve cold. 

My next snack time is tomorrow which also happens to be "Crazy Hair Day."  
I can't wait to show you the yummy treat we are making for that big event; stay tuned!

Readers: What is your favorite healthy snack, either now or as a kid?

BONUS: Two great tips from Nutrition Expert Dominique Adair:
1. The most honest food label is no label (such a Produce).
2. Your food should be as you wish to be: strong, young, healthy, vibrant...

Comments

  1. I almost forgot, pack along the hand wipes! These treats are a bit sticky... :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!