Pedometer Part II: My (Bad) 10,000 Step Day

Two days ago I hit 10,000 steps on my pedometer.  If you read my first post on starting my pedometer totting, I mentioned being recently sick (not working out) and took baselines between 3500-5000 steps a day.  So as soon as I felt well, I was all over finding out what it looks and feels like for someone to achieve 10,000 steps in one day.

First, how did a Primate reach 10,000 steps?  A few months ago I was reading The Primal Blueprint, which gives such an analogy.  The primate wakes up to the sun, gathers food, watches for predators.  The day is mentally-focused but physically-leisurely, with the occasional instance of being chased by a bear.  The body kicks in, flees, HR pumps, etc.  Then the threat leaves, and the primal family has a light meal of nuts and berries as they wander back to safety and sleep for the night.  They repeat this day after day.  Their leisurely walking plus the bouts of hunting and high-intensity cardio easily gave a primate 10,000 steps.

My 10,000 step day could be compared to being chased by a bear from dawn to dusk with the primal mantra "more steps, more steps, MORE STEPS" pounding in my brain.  Reaching 10,000 gave me such anxiety and high stress that I was exhausted, shaky, and sick to my stomach by bedtime. I could have followed the "increase by 500 steps a day per week" recommendation, but I don't roll like that; I'm very fit.  Where I went wrong was obsessing over the number and forgetting to intermix hydration, nutrition, and rest periods (physical and mental down time).

I started my day at 5 AM, doing my P90X Plyo (jump/high-intensity) workout that gave me 3500 steps right off the bat.  Then I showered, dressed, worked on my website, fed the kids, taught them a 45 min preschool, cleaned the house, ran two loads of laundry, recycled on the way to Little Gym where I chased Jen for another 1000 steps, went to Target and shopped/changed in the dressing room, ate lunch at 2, read and put Jen to bed, made dinner with Becca, chatted on the phone while walking the house for another 1000 steps, got off the phone to go for a 2500 steps walk with the family, ate dinner, emailed about a stressful work situation, and then collapsed.

3500 workout + 2500 walk + 1000 play + 1000 phone walking = 8,000 in 4 hours
Meaning only 2,000 steps came from the 8 hour insanity in between.

So what's next?  Part III and IV described below with many examples of activities and their correlated steps on the pedometer, from making my bed to shopping trips at Costco:

Part III: Bad Ways to Use Your Pedometer 
I'll share the cons to pedometers and what doesn't work about pedometer use.
Part IV: Why I'll Never Stop Using My Pedometer Now 
I'll share how best to use your pedometer and the benefits of various situations and circumstances.

Stay tuned for these posts in the next two weeks! 

If you read my post on Manners, guess what?  
My mom, Donna Felker, sent me her blog on Civility!  Check back for it on Sunday.
Thanks, Mom! And happy walking, everyone!

Comments