An Athletic Event for Women: Live.Love.Tri.

Wouldn’t it be fantastic to have a passion and then create a local event for others to participate in your passion?  My sister brought such a duo of ladies to my attention, and they graciously answered some questions about their all-women triathlon for us, which will be August 27, 2011, at the Rio Rancho Aquatic Center:

About the Organizers:  Your blog mentions your passions for running and biking.  Tell us about yourselves and your favorite athletic experiences:

Kristen:   I met my husband in college and we’ve been married 5 years; we have two dogs, CoCo and V.  I love my job as an accountant and office administrator for GMSS in Albuquerque, NM and have a BS in Business Finance.  I like to run, ski, play tennis, and wakeboard, even though my skills have declined over the years.  I’ve been a dancer since I was 3 years old and competed on a national level until I was 18 with 2 National wins!  I started running in college for fun; I just ran a 1/2 marathon in 2010 and plan to run another this summer.   I love the triathlon sport.  Running is cathartic for me.  Anna and I are having a lot of fun and laughs planning this venture together!


Anna:  I have been married almost 7 years and have two little kids.  I have a BS in Social Studies Education and have mostly taught at-risk kids.  My husband and I were friends for several years until we went ski diving with a bunch of friends and started dating on the trip.  I grew up doing swim team, tennis and diving.  If I had a choice of any sport to do it would be skiing; I started skiing in college and love it!  I also love triathlons because of the supportive group you are competing with.  I love to hang with my family, as well as eating Indian food and reading, and founded this triathlon as a hobby.


How are you both finding women to join your triathlon and help them prepare for the race?
We talk to everyone about this triathlon; at the gym, grocery store, anywhere in public.  We carry around business cards and our goal is to give them away by next month.  We created a live.love.tri. blog and send it to people we know and encourage them to forward it on.

We also started a charity for the live.love.tri. triathlon that will choose several underprivileged women and set them up with gear, a support group, and coaching for the event.  We also hope as we get further along in the process, the involved triathletes will be able to connect with each other, train together, and develop friendships. 

How did your title Live.Love.Tri come about?
We, with our husbands, had a little brainstorming session one night and came up with our title.  The official title is “live well, love more, tri hard.”   We love what our motto stands for; we hope that women everywhere will be able to have the life they want by living well, loving people in their lives a little bit more, and competing at their best level.

You mentioned this is NM’s only All-Women triathlon; what will women experience at your event?
A really good time!  We love all-women's triathlons because of the bond we feel competing alongside other women.  We will have a DJ playing pump up music for our triathletes and great community of active women supporting each other.  Please see their blog for their mission statement and purpose.  Every triathlete will receive a fantastic t-shirt, finisher’s gift, and goodie bag.  We would love to see you out there so please join us at live.love.tri.!

This triathlon is a 3 mile run, 10 mile bike, and 400 meter (1/4 mile) swim.
Athletes can participate as individuals or in double or triple teams.
The teams are a great option if this is your first race.
 
For more information, email Anna and Kristen at livelovetri2011@gmail.com.

Comments